What would you consider to have been your greatest life lessons thus far? Knowing what they are…having that awareness can help prevent you from making the same mistakes over and over. This in turn helps you to grow, evolve and continue to learn.
Your greatest lessons are those that help to shape you into the person you are and although these lessons can be painful, they can ultimately make life more enjoyable and rewarding. When you say “Yes” to things…job opportunities, favours, invitations…you must always do so with an awareness that there is a cost involved. That cost could be to your health, family time, or finances and this needs to be considered before making any decisions.
Look at the problems you encounter over and over. Are they simply a recurrence of past issues, past decisions? The past can become a habit which turns into a pattern when we don’t stop to acknowledge it, address it and learn from it, so creating a strategy to change these patterns is critical. Why does the same thing keep happening to you? Does it affect your life enough in a negative way to make you want to do something about it once and for all? How can you now make changes that will create a long term positive difference in your life?
Emotionally intelligent leaders strive to learn from mistakes because they know how valuable they are for growth – both personal and professional – and how they can affect your ability to move forward.
SOME MORE POPULAR LIFE LESSONS
- When in doubt, just take the next small step.
- Life doesn’t have to always be so serious.
- Youre not that interesting to anyone who doesn’t know you personally so stop worrying about how things look to outsiders.
- Every argument doesn’t need to be a Winner Takes All event! Agree to disagree sometimes.
- Make peace with your past so you don’t drag it around and screw up the present or the future with it.
- Dont compare your life to the lives of others. You can never see the full picture that is someone else’s life.
- A writer writes, an artist makes art, a gardener gardens…if you dream of being something, take action, don’t just dream!
- Its never too late to have a happy childhood. If you didn’t manage it first time around, create a second chance.
- Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, the good dishes. Every day is a special occasion because you never know which day might be your last.
- Over prepare and then let it go. Whatever you’ve done, it is enough.
- Be eccentric. Don’t wait for old age. Dye your hair pink, get that tattoo, wear the bright colours.
- When things go pear shaped, ask yourself “Will this matter in five years?”
- Take a chance. You’ll never find yourself on your death bed worrying about why you asked that person on that date, or why you took that trek to Nepal…but if you don’t take the chances you may find yourself dying and full of regret. Take that chance. What’s the worst that could happen?
- However good or bad things are, they will always change. They always do.
- Get outside every day. Smell the roses, bask in the sunshine, feel the wind on your face.
- Take a deep breath. Be conscious of taking deep breaths because doing so will make you feel better.
- If you want something, ask. The worst thing that someone can say to you is no but is that really that bad? If you never ask you won’t get what you’re seeking in any case which is no different to being told no…is it?
- Dont put up with shit from the people who are meant to love you. Don’t make someone a priority in your life if you’re only ever an option in theirs.